Saturday 2 February 2013

BAKED OATMEAL (PORRIDGE)

Oatmeal or porridge, whatever you want to call it, this IS the breakfast of champions. Great for a winter's day...eating it is like snuggling in a warm fluffy bed.

I was introduced to baked oatmeal, on one of my many visits to Blue Bird, on an especially cold morning in New York. It looked like a muffin, but it wasn't, they said it was oatmeal but it didn't look like it. I knew it would be delicious, everything at Blue Bird is. I was intrigued when they said it is served with steamed milk. After finishing it, I was hooked, but I knew I had to attempt it on my own, to control the sugar intake.

My version, for you to enjoy! 

BAKED (ADDICTIVE) OATMEAL (for 2 x 18oz ovenproof dishes)

Ingredients (serves 2):
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup roughly chopped nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, or walnuts)
1 cup milk  (I used Goat's milk)
1 small egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 banana, sliced
1/3 cup of blueberries (or blackberries)
Butter, for greasing

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F (205C).
  2. Grease two small oven proof dishes (18oz = 2 1/2 cups).
  3. Mix the DRY ingredients in a bowl (oats, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon).
  4. Whisk WET ingredients in another bowl (milk, maple syrup, vanilla, egg).
  5. Arrange the banana slices to the base of the oven proof dishes.
  6. Divide the dry ingredients between the two dishes.
  7. Top the two oats with the milk mixture, again divide equally. 
  8. Sprinkle top with the blueberries. 
  9. Tap lightly on the bench to make sure the milk mixture settles. 
  10. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes (check at 30 minutes as each oven is different). 
Optional: you can rehydrate with warmed milk after it's baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment